- These verses are known as the Sermon on the Mount.
- There are two kind of spiritual houses, one built on the Rock and one built on the sand.
Matthew 7:24-27 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
- Both houses experienced the same kinds of storms. Rain, floods and wind that beat upon the houses.
- Nobody is exempt from the storms of life. Everybody who lives will experience the storms of life.
- As Christians, the difference is that we don’t experience the same things that non-Christians face. But when they do, they can look to God to make the right decisions.
Psalms 40:2- He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
- What a picture of what God did in our lives when he saved us.
1 Corinthians 10:4- And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
- The Lord is the Rock for the saved person.
1 Samuel 2:2- There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
- What does it mean to build your life on the solid Rock?
VS 24- Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
- Building your house on the rock means you hear the words of Jesus and do the words of Jesus.
- Building your house on the sand is hearing what Jesus says and not doing what He says.
VS 28-29 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: 29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
- It’s not enough to just hear what Jesus says, we must put into practice what He says.
- It’s not enough to be in church and hear the Word of God. We must hear and do what the Word says during the week.
James 1:22- But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
- They both heard the message of Jesus. One did what Jesus said, the other didn’t.
- Building on the rock means hearing AND doing what Jesus said.
John 2:5- His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
- This is what should happen when we read God’s word.
- When was the last time you purposely changed something in your life because of what you read or heard in the Word of God?
- We need to be doers of the Word because storms are guaranteed to happen in our lives.
- Don’t just be a hearer of the Word of God. Be a doer of the Word of God.
- Will you build your house on the rock or on the sand?
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!