- As a church, we need to be a stable light in an unstable community.
- Being unified in the church is very important.
- Why can’t Christians get along with each other? It’s because we still have our old adamic nature. Acting in the flesh. We must be spirit controlled.
- This is nothing new for Christians.
Philippians 4:2-5- I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. 4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. 5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
This morning we are going to take away 4 simple truths about unity from this passage.
On non-doctrinal, non-moral issues the unity of the church is more important than a member’s insistence on being right.
1 Corinthians 1:10- Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
- We must have the mind of Christ in order to be unified in the church.
- The average church member is not humble. We are always thinking about ourselves and not others.
- Submission is part of being humble. We are to submit to Christ and others. Have the mind of a servant.
- It’s not important that we always get our way.
- It’s not important that we are always right.
- It’s not always important that we win an argument.
- What is important is the unity of the church.
- Are you spirit controlled or flesh controlled?
Sometimes in order for reconciliation to happen between two members, other mature Christians have to get involved in the situation.
- These were not bad women, they simply had a disagreement.
- When division happens, the church can no longer accomplish its goal.
- Family doesn’t always get along, but they are to always make up.
- Remember who the enemy is; Satan, not each other.
It’s hard to obey the command to rejoice when you are at odds with other Christians.
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.
- Division not only effects those involved, but it involves everyone.
- Spirit controlled VS. flesh controlled
- Spirit controlled- having the joy of the Lord.
- Flesh controlled- strife, wrath.
- Being spirit controlled is vitally important to the church.
To avoid constant conflict, be patient with those who see things different than you do.
Philippians 4:5- Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
- Moderation means to be reasonable.
- We must be spirit controlled if we are going to be a united church. We must be unified.
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!