- Church should be about others, not ourselves.
Phil 2:4- Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Matthew 20:25-28- But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; 27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: 28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
- There are two different mindsets that Jesus addresses in these verses. Selfish and self-less.
- Jesus leaves no doubt to which mindset his followers are to have.
- The average unbeliever is only thinking about how someone can serve them. The mature believer understands the need of helping others.
- Changed thinking results in changed living.
- In and of ourselves we are a selfish people. It’s not about us, but meeting the needs of others.
- Philippians is about having joy as we serve others.
- Joy comes as we serve others. Selfish church members are not very happy people.
Acts 20:35b – how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
- The world tells us the total opposite.
- This verse doesn’t only apply to financial giving but giving of time, effort, attention, gifts and abilities.
- This is the question: Will we commit ourselves to serve others?
- The 90-day challenge:
- Commit to not complaining or saying anything negative about our church for 90 days.
- Commit to not ask of anything from our church for 90 days.
- Ask not what your church can do for you. Ask what you can do for your church.
- Commit to serve for at least one hour a week for the next 90 days.
- What if the majority of our church committed to this 90 day challenge? Our church would look different in 90 days. Not only would it change our church but it would change you as a person.
- There are many areas to get involved in serving at CBT. Find a place to serve!
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!