- We have been created by God with a will. We have the ability to make decisions on our own. We make decisions all the time during the course of the day.
- Some decisions are small and insignificant, while others are very important.
- There are many instances in scripture where decisions are to be made.
Deuteronomy 30:19-20 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: 20 That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
Joshua 24:14-15 Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord. 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
1st Kings 18:20-21 So Ahab sent unto all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together unto mount Carmel.21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.
Jeremiah 21:8- And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
- Just like the previous verses, Jesus is presenting his listeners and us with a choice to make. One is the way of life, the other is the way of death. One is the way of blessing, the other is the way of cursing.
Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
- This decision is the biggest decision you will make in your life.
- Here is the decision between one true way and many false ways. There is only one way to Heaven.
From these two verses there are 4 takeaways.
First, there are two gates.
- There is the strait gate and the wide gate.
- Strait gate- the decision to accept Jesus.
John 10:9a- I‘am the door; by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved.
- We have a very narrow gospel.
Acts 4:12- And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
1st Timothy 2:5- And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
- We are not to admire the gate, we are to enter into the gate.
- Wide gate- options man gives for people to get to Heaven.
- Religion will never give you what you truly need.
Secondly, there are two ways.
- The two gates lead to two ways or lifestyles.
- The strait gate leads to a less crowded way and the wide gate leads to a crowded way.
Proverbs 14:12- And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
John 15:19- If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
- The strait gate is not always the easy way.
- Christians in the church need to grow a backbone.
- Christ has called us to be committed Christians.
Thirdly, there are two destinations.
- Only the narrow gate gets you to Heaven.
- No matter how “good” of a person you are, it will not get you to Heaven.
- The wide gate leads you to destruction.
Psalms 1:6b- … but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
- The strait gate leads to life.
1st John 5:11-12 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
- Christians are to influence the culture more than the culture influences Christians.
Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Finally, there are two groups of people.
- Few enter into the strait gate, but many enter into the wide gate.
- There will be more lost people in Hell than saved people enjoying eternity in Heaven.
- The word many means every person that has not come to Christ for salvation.
- Have you entered into the strait gate?
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!