This morning is the final service of our missions conference.
Five things that will happen when we give financially to missions.
First, we show grace by giving. VS. 1
2nd Corinthians 8:1- Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;
- To wit means to make known, or to show or manifest what you do.
- When giving to God’s church we are showing grace.
- Giving more than we can is showing God’s grace in our lives.
Secondly, we think differently by giving. VS 2-3
2nd Corinthians 8:2-3- How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. 3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
- There are two kinds of giving in these verses.
- “To their power” is the tithe. This is what is in our power and what we can control.
- “Beyond their power” is their faith giving. Giving when it doesn’t always make sense. Going above and beyond the 10%.
- We need to look at giving by the eternal rewards and not what we have now.
Thirdly, we react differently by giving. VS. 4-5
2nd Corinthians 8:4-5- Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. 5 And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.
- There should be urgency in our giving. After all, it’s all God’s anyways.
- The word intreaty means urgency. It’s important. There has to be an urgency in getting missionaries to the field.
- Before they gave financially, they gave themselves. They surrendered themselves to Christ, then surrendered their giving.
- Missionaries have surrendered their lives for the furtherance of the Gospel, what will you surrender?
Fourthly, we stay in the race by giving. VS. 6
2nd Corinthians 8:6- Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.
- First, we have to start strong.
Philippians 3:13-14- Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Paul started the race well and strong because he was focused on the finish line.
- Secondly, we also need to finish strong like Paul did.
2nd Timothy 4:7-I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
- It was the church that helped the church in the middle of the famine. It is our responsibility to help the need of the missionary.
Lastly, we grow by giving. VS 7
2nd Corinthians 8:7- Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also.
- Abound is mentioned twice in these verses.
- What is the grace in this verse? Grace giving.
- Ways to grow by our giving:
2nd Corinthians 8:8-9- I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love. 9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
- Paul wanted his readers to be real about their giving.
- Where do you put your money? You put it where you are passionate and what’s important to you.
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!