- Giving to missions is something great. Missions is a big deal.
This morning we are going to look at three powerful reasons why everyone of us should give to missions.
First, when we give to missions we participate in God’s plan for the world.
- Scripture gives us God’s biblical missions mandate. A mandate is not an option, it’s a command.
- God wants to reach everyone on the planet. This is where the mandate comes in.
Acts 1:8- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- God changes people’s lives so that the world can be reached.
Acts 8:1- And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.
- Persecution caused the gospel to be spread.
Acts 13:1-3- Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. 3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
- God does the calling.
- He calls some to go, not everyone. What does he call the rest of us to do?
- He calls us to pray for our missionaries, give to our missionaries and be a missionary across the street.
Philippians 4:10- But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
- Many churches supported Paul on his missionary journeys.
2nd Corinthians 11:8- I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.
Secondly, submit to God’s authority in our lives.
Matthew 28:19- Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Power means supreme authority in Heaven and earth.
- His disciples found out he controlled the weather.
- He had power to forgive sins.
- He had power over demons and sins.
- He had power to raise the dead.
- He had power to raise himself from the dead.
John 10:17-18- Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
- In your relationship with Christ, are you convinced that He is the Lord of your life?
Matthew 28:16-19- Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Even in our doubt, we are still commanded to go.
- Do you love the Lord? Do you live to know and please him?
Thirdly, we receive God’s provision.
- God always looks out for His people. God’s promise of provision is not a promise of health.
Luke 6:38- Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
Philippians 4:19- But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- Paul told his readers that God would provide.
Eph. 4:28- Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
- There are three parts to this verse.
- Stop stealing.
- Labor with your hands. Work hard.
- That we may have to give to those that need it.
1st Timothy 6:17-18- Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
- What is the goal of giving to missions?
2nd Corinthians 9:7-8- Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
- God will meet all our needs.
James 4:3- Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
Do you know Christ as your Savior? Do you know for sure you are going to heaven when you die? You can know for sure you are going to heaven and that your sins are forgiven!
Questions? Contact us!